[cw-discuss] Wine and Cxoffice
Laurent Dinclaux
2008-07-16 22:04:40 UTC
Hello,

I wonder how much is cxoffice in sync with wine?

I have noticed that ,now, wine seems to work much better that CXoffice
for the apps I use: photoshop save for web, fireworks etc... And
developpement seems really active and fast now.

What I like in CXoffice is the way it manage menus, icons, file
associations etc... It is so nice ;)

So, is there anyway to use wine engine with CXoffice? How can this be achieved?

Regards
--
Laurent Dinclaux - Gecka
laurent-78yojjj/***@public.gmane.org

Préservez nos forêts, n'imprimez vos mails que si nécessaire.
Preserve our forests, only print your emails if necessary.
Jeremy White
2008-07-16 22:20:48 UTC
Hi Laurent,

Sure; Wine and CrossOver have some differences. The differences
usually center on kludges that our supported applications need
in order to work smoothly. We also tend to make sure that installers
work more reliably and smoothly. We also included the patented font hinter,
so fonts render a bit more nicely.

But all of our work goes into Wine first, so Wine is often a bit ahead
of CrossOver. Unfortunately, it can often be 'bleeding edge' as well,
so it does come with some risk.

If you look in your ~/.cxoffice directory, under each bottle there is
a configuration file. You can edit that file to point your paths to
a Wine installation instead of ours, and that will then use a differint Wine.

More simply, and more what I recommend, is that you set your WINEPREFIX
to point to your CrossOver bottle.

So that would be:
WINEPREFIX=~/.cxoffice/<my-bottle> /path/to/my/wine /path/to/my/exe/file

Note that bleeding edge versions of Wine can change the registry in ways
that aren't compatible with CrossOver, so you may want to archive your bottle
before doing that, just in case.

Cheers,

Jeremy
Regards
Martyn Hare
2008-07-20 22:22:30 UTC
I believe this is possible by compiling Wine in a similar way to how the
CXWine sources are done and then slipping the appropriate libs and such
in place.. I am working on a way to do this and I can only foresee a few
issues with combining the two:

* Some Wine binaries are modified to show CX how the product is licensed
(if CX binaries become Wine binaries does it provide accidental
"circumvention" or does it prevent use of the proprietary components?)
* Development environments will differ
(from what I can tell Debian is used)
* No support, CodeWeavers can't support it :-(

So if a CW employee could tell me if the issues I foresee are likely to
occur it would be helpful ;-)
Regards
Jeremy White
2008-07-21 01:26:45 UTC
Hi Martyn,

Check the archives on this thread; I supplied some advice on how to do this.
Post by Martyn Hare
* Some Wine binaries are modified to show CX how the product is licensed
(if CX binaries become Wine binaries does it provide accidental
"circumvention" or does it prevent use of the proprietary components?)
No, and no. We think of ourselves as a Free Software company; enabling
you to use and extend Wine is an important part of what we do. So, it's
not licensing that will cause you heartache, and we will not consider
it any form of circumvention.

However, with that said, you are likely to run into some trouble. The Wine
in CrossOver is different from stock Wine in little ways that are likely
to cause small hiccups and bumps. For example, the 'wineprefixcreate'
script is different between the two. (In this case, Wine's is actually
superior, but CrossOver is adapted to its own, which predated the
existence of the Wine one).

But, again, I provided advice on how to do this in another thread.

Candidly, your best bet is to set up Wine to run against a CrossOver bottle
using the WINEPREFIX environment variable; that's the path most likely to
give you some joy.
Post by Martyn Hare
* Development environments will differ
(from what I can tell Debian is used)
No, that shouldn't be a problem, although getting Wine to build correctly
isn't completely trivial. It's mostly a matter of making sure ./configure
doesn't grumble at all.
Post by Martyn Hare
* No support, CodeWeavers can't support it :-(
That one, I'm afraid, is true :-/.

Cheers,

Jeremy
Francois Gouget
2008-07-28 09:55:51 UTC
Jeremy White wrote:
[...]
Post by Jeremy White
For example, the 'wineprefixcreate'
script is different between the two. (In this case, Wine's is actually
superior, but CrossOver is adapted to its own, which predated the
existence of the Wine one).
Actually one wineprefixcreate is not better than the other: they serve
completely different purposes so they are not comparable. And yes, we
used that name first :-( I guess we'll rename our script one day to
avoid confusion but it's going to be a bit tricky.
--
Francois Gouget
fgouget-***@public.gmane.org